Bacon in a cake!? Not quite, it’s more of a savoury scone, but it still sounds good to me!
I’ve decided to try making them using some rye sourdough starter, so the recipe will be:
- 3 rashers streaky smoked bacon
- 175g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- 25g butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 75g mature cheddar, grated
- 100ml milk, plus 2 tbsp extra for glazing
- 100g refreshed rye starter
- 1 Tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
We’re having with avocado salad & poached eggs.
Firstly bacon needs frying, and almonds need toasting.
It’s scones, so it’s mix the dry, mix the wet.
Hmm a little too wet, so I added some more flour.
Then form into a round and brush with milk.
Cut into eight wedges, and top with cheese.
Bake for 25 minutes at 160C fan, and serve with the poached eggs an avocado salad.
Mmm bacon :) These work great in a breakfast like this, so it’s good there were four left over that I’ve vac-frozen the for future use!