This week I’ve decided to add some red lentils to the basic bread mix, along with 200g of the granary flour I opened last week.
I followed the instructions on the lentils for how to cook them: no soaking required, just cover in cold water, bring to the boil, boil for 10 minutes then simmer for 15-20. Unfortunately during the simmer part all the water ran out, and by the time I checked after 15mins the lentils were burnt to the bottom of the pan…
I salvaged the ones on top that weren’t burnt, and put that in the bread, and am going to spend the rest of the day cleaning that bloody pan! I think the problem was that I was only using a handful of lentils (end of the pack) so there was very little water compared to what you’d normally use for larger amounts of lentils. Whatever… next time I’ll keep an eye on them while they cook!
Anyway, the bread cooking went smoother and after the usual 15min max/45min at 180c fan the bread was over 90c inside.