As I had the mixer out for making onion baguettes, I thought I’d play around with the rye sourdough and use all wheat flour on day 2 and use the mixer to try and get some gluten going, and try using the banneton again and see if I could get that working.
So on day 2 I added 350g granary bread flour (normally it’s 330g of flour on day 2, but I was just using up the end of a bag), plus 5g salt, and I started off with 150ml of water, so I could add up to 50ml more if I needed it.
This turned out to be way to liquidy, so I had to add in extra bread flour to make it more like a dough. After about 3 tbsp extra flour, and lots of mixing, it started to show signs of gluten strands. If I do this again I think I’d start by not adding any extra water.
As this was trying to be a more traditional wheat bread I gave it a proper rise rather than going straight into the bread shape. So it went to sit with the baguette dough, and the cats…
After it had risen it was still really wet, so I tried to fold it a bit using scrapers before putting it into the banneton. I used a muslin cloth to line the banneton this time to avoid it sticking.
After this got an hours rise I turned it out onto the lined baking stone.
Yeah… most of it stuck to the muslin… so no nice ridges.
That went into the oven at top temperature, about 30c fan, for 20mins, then got turned down to 200c fan for another 30mins.
As you can see it looked a lot better than it did going in! Internal temperature at about 98c, so it was clearly done. So onto a cooling rack.
After cooling we cut into it… and it looks great!
So just need to fix a few things. So next time I’ll not add any water on day two to start with. I’m also going to line the banetton with oiled cling film to stop the sticking.
2 thoughts on “Rye Sourdough: wheat banneton”
A gorgeous loaf
Thanks, although it’s not a patch on yours!