The bread making kit Soph bought me (which is where the starter for this rye sourdough first came from) came with a banneton to prove the bread in, rather than using a tin. I’ve always worried about the dough being too wet for this… but I decided to give it a go this week.
The mixture is the same as last week, including the root beer!
I lined the banneton with flour ad oatbran. The oatbran all fell to the bottom… so hopefully the flour is enough to stop it sticking.
The mixture then goes in, and I let it prove for a full hour while I warmed up the pizza stone.
After proving I lined my pizza peel with a silicone sheet, and sprinkled flour and oatbran over it.
I then flipped the banneton over. This blew all the flour and oatbran away from the sides. Now all I had to do was hope the dough wouldn’t stick to the banneton…
Thankfully there were no issues! It came right out, and the banneton hardly had any bits of dough on it.
I used the pizza peel to transfer to the pizza stone, thus keeping the door open time to a minimum, and then cooked the normal 15mins max / 45mins at 180c fan.
After cooking it looked pretty good. It hadn’t risen as much as I’d like; if there’s no hole inside at the top I may try proving longer next time. Also lots of the oat bran fell off… but I’m really happy with how it looks.
Cutting into it, and there’s no hole, which is good.It’s very dense, so I’ll definitely try a longer prove next time. Unsurprisingly, as it’s the same ingredients, it tastes the same as last week.
2 thoughts on “Rye Soursough: Banneton Version”
I much prefer the shape of this loaf – better than being cooked in a tin. It looks right too.